Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's a wide (web) world

Like many of my colleagues this week, I have been hitting the web design hard recently. I had hoped to have my portfolio ready to send to potential employers by now, but it has been slow going. I have been logging the hours on it, though there doesn't seem to be much to show for it. Instead, I've spent my time learning Dreamweaver, Flash and the mechanics of web design. It'd also help if I hadn't changed my overall design three or four times so far.

So, while attempting to modify my design processes for the web, I found this entry from Publication Design to be very helpful. This post helped me change my thinking about the differences between print and web design. Before, I thought web differed in terms of space (limitless), navigation (simple) and possible font/color choices (limited). (Also, my design skills online? Limited, but growing!)

However, this slideshow by Khoi Vinh, brings up another good point: control. When designing for web, designers give up some of their control. Instead, the control is given to the users, who are able to determine how they get content (to an extent). That can be hard to adapt to, when one is used to the control of print design.

You can find his slideshow on the differences between print and web design through the link on Publication Design's website. I've also included it below.

No comments: