Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Week's Work

This week we ventured in to logo design and explored our creative design processes. Trying to design a logo was not easy for me. When the assignment was presented to the class, I had a few ideas and images that came to mind. I jotted some things down, but pretty much forgot about it until earlier this week. As much as I have to do on a daily basis, this isn't too unusual. Unfortunately it doesn't always bode well for the creative process. So, my initial go at this assignment was not terribly pleasant.

It was frustrating because I had looked at a few articles on logo design and that pigeon-holed me on what a logo was. It has to look good in black and white and color. It should be able to run large and small. Use simple shapes. You get the idea. Rather than helping me, these "rules" started to restrict me to the point where I wasn't really coming up with anything. Eventually, I stepped away from the articles and my computer and started flipping through magazines, looking specifically at different logos for inspiration. Also, it was a chance to kind of relax so I could let myself think. I finally came up with a few ideas that I like.

I plan on looking more into my process and how I work as a designer. I think having that sense of awareness when I am approaching a project will help. Plus, putting a little more thought into my process will hopefully help me put more thought into my designs. Here are a few of the logos I came up with for the "Show me dharma" program.

Also, this week I've been putting more work into my website. I am trying to get something done as soon as possible, so that I can start applying for jobs. I feel like I have to have that done before I can even think about sending out a resume. I've purchased my domain name and started uploading basic skeletons for the various pages. I went through a few drafts before I landed on the current design. I've gotten decent feedback from the people I've shown thus far. There is still a lot of work to be done, so I'd love to hear any and all feedback you have on it. I'm still learning the ins and outs of web design, but I think I have a good start. If you'd like to click through the different pages, you can here. Below is a screen shot of the basic format I am using for the site.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I think I've told you already, but I think your website buttons have improved in leaps and bounds since your first prototypes. These are universally appealing and show off your sense of design in a way that won't turn a individual demographics off.

design.by.emily said...

I love the pastel colors you used in your logo designs. I also love the color palette you're working with for your website.

Annie Harp said...

The screen shot of your website ideas look great. I think the style is coming together nicely. I really like the colors you've used.