Sunday, February 8, 2009

You can't miss this

Definitely check out this from the New York Times. Titled, "One in Eight Million", the project showcases different stories and characters found in New York City. I haven't had a chance to look through too many yet, but I really enjoyed the story from Georgiana DePalma Tedone. She is a 90-year-old women who still earns her own living by making mozzarella. I only hope that I am still going like that when I'm 90.

The best part of this medium of storytelling is that you hear the subjects voice. That, paired with gorgeous photos, makes for a great story.

4 comments:

Jena Lene´ said...

This is for your page header--

I really like what you did with the (jal)..it looks like sprinkles in the text...I'm thinking you used your clipping mask skills in illustrator? if not let me know how you did that, very cool.

Jennifer said...

Good eye, they are sprinkles! Just having a little fun. All I did was make the text into a clipping mask using Illustrator.

Kristin said...

This is so funny because this year over the holidays my sisters and I taught my 92-year-old grandma how to make mozzarella!

I have been trying to interview her (or rather record her while she tells me stories, gives me advice, etc) for over a year now but she is extremely resistant. Seeing this has made me want to pursue the project more. Thanks!

Trescott said...

This story is precious. She's so dedicated. I hope I'm still that passionate about something when I'm 90. And I love her Brooklyn accent. You were right too, this medium is a wonderful way to do a photo essay. Nice find.