Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Watch out for the door

While scrolling through the archives of Publication Design, I saw a post titled "Doors can be fatal". Well, with all those killer doors out there, it was probably a good idea to check out the post - y'know, for tips. Come to find out, the doors this post refers to are swinging car doors and the threat they pose to bicyclists. To the right is a shot of a campaign that ran to raise awareness about this issue.

I like how clean and simple this graphic is. The colors compliment very well, too. Personally, I think a design that is really simple can be so effective when used properly.

The title made me think of a few things. First, it made me giggle because my roommate got stuck in a door once on campus. Don't ask me how she managed to do that, but some guy behind her had to pull the door open so she could get out. (It was in the Geology building, in case you were wondering).

The second this reminded me of was an information graphic I made for the Missourian last semester. It accompanied a story that was about the city's decision to use "sharrows" - an arrow, or symbol that indicates that bicyclists are to share the road with traffic - around Columbia. I'm proud of this graphic because it was my first that wasn't a locater-map or a graph. I also thought that it really allowed me to use Illustrator in a different way. (If you'd like to see a larger image, just click the picture).

In other news, here is a graphic from the New York Times that you can't miss. The graphic shows which words were most frequently "tweeted" on Twitter during the Superbowl and where the users were from. For those of you who don't know, a "tweet" is essentially a mini-blog post that is 140 characters or fewer. A social networking site, users are able to follow other users' updates. I've known about Twitter for awhile now, but never got into it until a friend of mine started using it. So, with her prompting, I started exploring the site and found it to be pretty interesting, if not addicting. I think the way it could be used with journalism would be interesting to explore. Right now, the majority of the users I follow are either publications or media related. The most interesting posts are from a user called "themediaisdying". This user chronicles the media world as it endures this economy. A bit of a downer, yes, but still interesting. Sometimes there is good news, too.

5 comments:

Eric said...

I really like this graphic. There are so many ways to illustrate the threat of doors for bicyclists, but this concept gets straight to the point. Plus it's very simple, which makes me enjoy it even more since I'm a major fan of simply designed concepts.

Anonymous said...

This graphic also makes me appreciate the city of Columbia's government, which is a rare event. It clearly shows how the city thought about us bikers when designing the biker lane to be far enough away from the curb that we don't die! Although, I have hit a door once. In my defense, it was closed. Wait, that's not a defense...

design.by.emily said...

Ha ha! I was really amused by the typography of the scarves, how interesting!

design.by.emily said...

Ha ha! I was really amused by the typography of the scarves, how interesting!

Kristin said...

I love the color combination in "Doors can be fatal." For some reason I have always been drawn to a bright, almost teal blue and red. It's funny that the design is using red, white and blue, yet isn't the least bit patriotic looking. Just goes to show you how a little tweaking of colors can change a design one way or the other.