Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Global Journalist illustrations

It feels like things are starting to slow down design-wise. At least for me, I feel like there aren't too many more weekly deadlines to worry about. Tomorrow marks the end of classes (the last in my educational career!) and it's all wrapping up. I still have a few (or a lot ... ) things to mark off my to-do list. One thing that's finished is my spread for Global Journalist.

I designed for a story on Twitter and how it might be a new form of journalism. There wasn't any art for the piece, so I was tasked with illustrating something for it. I decided to use the Twitter bird that is on the homepage and add a journalist element. Since the demographic of GJ is older (median age for readers is about 50, I think Aimee told me), I wanted to add more context to the story and what Twitter is. So, the bird has a speech bubble, where the deck is located; so, the bird is, basically, "tweeting" the story's deck. Also, the pull quote looks like an actual tweet and is very nearly 140 characters.

The main illustration is still my favorite, though.

No comments: