Tuesday, May 26, 2009

And I thought drawing with a mouse was hard.

The New Yorker, known for it's illustrated covers, among other things, published cover art this week that was completely drawn with an iPhone. My experience with the iPhone is limited (sadly, I've yet to buy one), but I have to imagine this couldn't have been easy. I've tried typing on one before and it took me entirely too long. However, from the look of it, the Brushes app for the iPhone is kind of like finger-painting, only digital (and less messy). 

After watching the video of the cover artist Jorge Colombo creating the artwork, I am dying to get my hands on the app so I can try it out. Naturally, Colombo makes it look easy. But is it? It's fun to think of designing "on the fly". Stuck in traffic? Whip out your iPhone and get some illustrating in. This definitely puts the idea of cell phone journalism in a new light and is something I could get into. 

Check out The New Yorker's Web site for more on the cover and to see a cool video of the illustration as it is being drawn.

No comments: